Case Study #3: Alexion Challenge
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases through the discovery, development and commercialization of life-changing therapies.
Since its founding in 1992, Alexion has given hope to people who had none and shined a light on those who felt isolated and alone. But we know that fighting rare diseases takes so much more than hope. It requires persistence, dedication, and a relentless pursuit of the highest levels of medical innovation. At Alexion, our goal is to deliver medical breakthroughs where none currently exist. We are driven because we know people’s lives are at stake.
Through the transformative power of our science, Alexion has delivered life-changing therapies to patients suffering from rare diseases. We have pioneered the complex field of complement biology and delivered solutions to challenges that once seemed impossible for patients with devastating complement-mediated and metabolic disorders.
The Alexion Challenge:
Can you follow the money in healthcare to identify opportunities for investment and areas of over spending? Who are the winners and losers in healthcare funding?
The challenge can be broken into two parts – one which looks at the research spend only and the second, which uses a combination of the payment and the research spend data (select the latter option if you are comfortable working with large data sets).
Your analysis should address one or more of the following questions:
- Where are the research dollars and or money overall flowing in healthcare?
- Can you find common factors by analyzing the type of drug, device, company, hospital, or therapeutics?
- Are there demographic or geographic patterns?
- Can you identify areas of concern or gaps in healthcare research spending?
- How do the overheard costs such as entertainment compare to research costs?
- Which diseases are being ignored?
- Which physician specialties are the most and least popular in terms of investment and what implications does that have for the future?
Click here for Alexion Data
- Be certain to view the PDF file named Alexion_2018_analytics _challenge for detailed information about the datasets and other reference materials.